DOCTOR OF PHILOSOPHY
Admissions open for Ph.D. programmes session 2014-2015
MRIU strives to propagate the international research agenda across the University’s disciplinary spectrum and through interdisciplinary initiatives.
Our ambitions and actions are influenced by our vision defined for learning, scholarship, research and public engagement.
MRIU expresses a commitment to disciplinary excellence across the spectrum of the engineering, management, core sciences, medicine, social sciences and humanities, including supporting research in strategically important and relevant subjects. The range and health of the core academic disciplines provides an ideal foundation for the continued development of interdisciplinary research initiatives.
We aim to maximize the benefits of research by advancing fundamental knowledge and contributing to efficacious public policy, improved health outcomes, economic prosperity, social cohesion, international development, community identity, arts, culture and the quality of life.
Our high-level strategies across the University include retaining and recruiting researchers of the highest distinction, process and potential across the University, attracting the very best research students nationally and internationally, continuing to provide a supportive research environment in which scholars, at every stage of their career, can flourish and develop, encouraging collaboration, regionally, nationally and internationally and effective partnerships with other research institutions, research agencies, funding bodies/sponsors and benefactors, ensuring that the fruits of the University’s research activities are leveraged and disseminated for the benefit of society and the economy, providing the academic and administrative services and facilities needed to facilitate research excellence and knowledge transfer.
The University will continue to develop multidisciplinary and interdisciplinary programs and new ventures designed to address many of the major challenges that confront our society.
CRITERIA FOR ADMISSION
- The admission to PhD programmes would strictly be done on the basis of regulations contained in the PhD Ordinance of the University available on its website. An applicant possessing any of the following qualifications shall be eligible to apply for admission to a Ph.D. programme of the University:
- A Master’s degree with not less than 55% marks in aggregate in Engineering / Technology / Science / Humanities / Commerce/ Medicine/ Law / Education/ Pharmacy / Management of a recognized Indian University, or a degree approved by Association of Indian Universities, or any other equivalent qualification to the satisfaction of Academic Council of the University.
- Applicants with a Bachelor’s degree in Engineering / Technology/ Medicine / any other professional discipline of at least four year duration after 10+2 or higher duration, with either 70% or more marks in aggregate and a minimum of fifteen years of relevant experience in recognized Institute / University /Industry/ Government Organization, may be considered eligible for admission, on the recommendation of BOS and approval by Academic Council provided that such applicants may, in case considered essential, be required to qualify in the course/s specified by the DRC/BOS.
- Applications for joining the Ph.D. programme shall be submitted. All eligible candidates also have to appear in a written test (of 120 marks) to be organized by MRIU, as per guide lines of the UGC, followed by an interview / presentation carrying a weightages of 30 marks. Those applicants who are short listed and are found to be suitable shall appear before the DRC of the concerned department for judging the suitability of the research plan and availability of the supervisor. The research plan shall be written in English in the specified format in accordance with the instructions contained in the PhD Ordinance. In case of a suitable candidate, the DRC shall assign some specific topic as area of research has found suitable. A candidate will ordinarily be allowed twice for such presentation before the DRC. A third attempt may be allowed only with the approval of the Vice Chancellor in special circumstances.
- The recommendations of the DRC regarding the research plan of the candidate and proposed supervisors) shall be put up in the meeting of the BOS for approval and for further submission to the Board of Faculty.
- While recommending approval of the Research Plan, the BOS/BOF will also recommend the research supervisor(s) BOS.
- After the recommendations of BOS/BOF of the research plan and the name(s) of the supervisor(s) of a candidate, the case shall be submitted to the concerned Academic Council for its approval.
- After the approval of the Academic Council and the payment of fees prescribed by the University, a candidate shall be formally registered as a research scholar / Student with effect from date on which the BOS accorded its approval or from the date specified by the Academic Council.
- A Research Scholar shall be required to renew his registration every semester / year and pay the fees in the manner prescribed by the University.
- Rs 25,000 Registration Fee (One time)
- Rs 50,000 Academic Fee per annum (Payable in two equal installments)
- Rs 25,000 Dissertation Evaluation Fee (One time)
- Rs 5000 Caution Money (Refundable)
Minimum fee payable is for 2 years. Thereafter, academic fee shall be Rs 25,000 per semester.
For more rules and regulations concerning admission to PhD programmes, the PhD Ordinance No 8A of the MRIU may be referred to an additional information about research programmes and various faculties offering PhD programmes at MRIU, please log on to http://mriu.edu.in/admissions